Explore Cleveland – Did You Know
- Cleveland was founded by General Moses Cleveland. As the story goes, the name was reduced to “Cleveland” when the local newspaper discovered the name was one character too long for its masthead.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was founded in Cleveland in 1983. To date, 701 people have been inducted. Please visit https://www.rockhall.com for more information.
- Jesse Owens, who won four gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, was from Cleveland.
- A suburban home in Cleveland was the setting for the beloved film “A Christmas Story.” it has since been purchased on eBay and renovation to an exact replica of the house in the film. More information is available at https://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/.
- Cleveland’s Playhouse Square Center is the second largest performing arts venue in the United States.
- Cleveland is a city that knows how to rock. “Hang On Sloopy” by the The McCoys is the city’s official song.
- Cleveland is home to the world’s largest indoor Ferris wheel, built in 1985. It stands more that 120 feet high.
- Joe Schuster and Jerry Siegel created the famous comic hero Superman in Cleveland.
- The world’s largest rubber stamp, created for the Standard Oil Company, has a home in Cleveland’s Willard Park.
Things To Do – Plan Your Trip
- Tours of Cleveland, LLC offers exciting and educational walking tours of beautiful and historic downtown Cleveland. Visit www.toursofcleveland.com and use promo code “CLEBADGE19” to receive $2 off per ticket.
- Celebrating 50 years in space exploration, visit the NASA Glenn Visitors Center exhibit at the Great Lakes Science Center! Please visit http://greatscience.com/explore for more information and other exhibits available.
- Looking for food and entertainment? Check out Cleveland’s Downtown Casino – https://www.jackentertainment.com/cleveland/.
- Traveling in early or staying through the weekend? Take some time to explore Cleveland!
- Pro-Football Hall of Fame: https://www.profootballhof.com/
- Cleveland Orchestra: https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/calendar/index.aspx
- Museums at University Circle: https://www.universitycircle.org/
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park: https://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland